Tip #3 – Reduce Drafts
- Use your curtains and shades to minimize drafts and maximize heat. South-facing windows receive the most sunlight during the winter, so keep those curtains open during the day to capture heat from the sun. Keep all other curtains and drapes closed to cut down on drafts, and close the south-facing curtains at night. Properly-used curtains can reduce heat loss by 10 percent.
- Replace single-pane windows with double-pane windows or install less costly exterior storm windows.
- Seal small spaces open to the outdoors. Apply weather stripping along the windows or door frames to create a tight seal. Caulking around the edge of the window or door frame will seal that area as well. If you can see daylight under exterior doors, install a door sweep.
- Cover up windows with insulating plastic to keep heat in.
- Make sure the damper in the chimney is shut tight to prevent heated air from escaping up the chimney.
- Seal cracks around pipes. In every home, there are places where pipes pass through walls, ceilings, and floors. There might be a gap or crack that allows cold air to circulate through the house and these should be filled with caulk or spray foam insulation.
Check back over the next few weeks to see all 12 tips and tricks to stay warm and not blow the budget this winter:
Levco is Fairfield County’s premier provider of Heating & Cooling service as well as Fuel Oil Delivery. If you are currently experiencing issues with your heating system and are looking for same-day solutions and timely service, give us a call, we are happy to help. Don’t forget to Like our page on Facebook to stay up-to-date with maintenance tips and reminders, as well as promotions and weather alerts!